Doing risky move?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should we do this?

40% 40% 
[ 4 ]
30% 30% 
[ 3 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
 
Total Votes : 10

Doing risky move?

Post by dragon144 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Its summer again. Those of you who been here for 2+ will know it would be active period for YEP traditionally.

However, I would like to state 1 thing. Exit Path is an old game already so expecting there would be huge raise of EP players is not possible (this is to dispelling anyone with over-optimistic fantasy about summer YEP). The reasons are


1. This game is losing its influence over AG
2. Entry barrier for YEP is very high. Personal recommendation...
3. Most level are designed for experienced players


Maybe we could re-open this community into public. Doing this may not revive this community but I am sure it will help! However for those of you who experience the "Google YEP "  era will know the trouble associate to such changes and I think the following modification for CURRENT system can help. It is to aim to modify the current system the least and obtain maximum efficiency (cost-effective). The plan WILL NOT be perfect

Application for YEP

1. Disable the invitation code thing
2. Email is required (prevent ppl create too many ac using VPN/proxy)
3. If the IP is banned --> cannot apply for new AC

Ban setting

1. Instead of banning account, ban according to IP

However there will be some disadvantage as usual,

1. Cannot prevent ppl create multiple account using proxy/VPN, but using these tools slow down their connection speed anyway
2. Any, if any players come from China excluding HK or Macau will be virtually unplayable because they have to use those tools to access to this site (as far as I know only 1 ex-player I know is from Mainland China)
3. General quality of ppl will be diminished (but it has already been during these 2-3 years)

It is relatively easy to setup and I think it is more possibility to revive this community instead of the previous "plans". We have to realize the reason if not promotion it is just that we have too high entry barrier and simply this game is old. I believe this will help stall this site for few more months but I don't think it can last forever because this game is too old anyway.

Thoughts? Or maybe yck himself can tell if it is too much work working on this modification.

_________________
I live in Mars [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] according to OZ

dragon144
Administrator

Posts : 384
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Nairod57 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 pm

i don't think we need any plan at that moment. I've been playing every day since close to one month now and i almost never had problem to find some of us online. Yck is a community for ppl who are interested by this game. A lot of players in  AG room just play it "for fun" they have no interest in playing this game on other maps or with a lot of tricks. I don't think EP is dying. Ep is evolving and ppl who are playing it too, we just need to have active mentor to invite and teach tricks to ppl who are really interesting to play this game with us.

Nairod57

Posts : 42
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 22
Location : france

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by ExitPathGirl16 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm confused, why would you have to use tools to join EP if it was public? I don't understand.
avatar
ExitPathGirl16

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2013-08-29
Age : 17

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Steinwayartist on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:10 pm

This is great, and way easier than trying to get someone to give you their email since you give them yours. (thats usually my problem when inviting Razz ) anyways, there are a few minor flaws, but they have no effect on the main idea. Of course nothing is ever perfect,  but this is pretty close to it. It is a safe way to eliminate invite codes.
It should work.

_________________
Steinwayartist [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Moderator of customs site
avatar
Steinwayartist

Posts : 535
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 20
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Xakaze on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:39 pm

Deleting the invit code feature would be a mistake, I'm totally against it. As Nairod said, as long as we have active mods/mentors who regularly check AG rooms, then we should have new recruits - even sporadically, but who cares ? -, without polluting the site with bunches of assholes.

Obviously, as the months go the amount and the frequency of new players arrivals will slowly decrease, but is it necessairly a bad thing ? I don't think so. And to be honest, I thought that the site would have been died for months, and it's apparently not the case, a lot of players keep logging in everyday.

Furthermore, management and operation of YEP currently works quite well in my opinion, so why should we change that ?

I still don't understand how those who haven't logged in for months are able to exercise a judgement on YEP's health/traffic. It doesn't make sense to me :/. Do you roll a dice or something ? "Fuck, got a 3, the site will burn and cows will turn into blue bonobos" ...


Last edited by Xakaze on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Xakaze

Posts : 421
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by dragon144 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:32 am

@nairod I see your point but it's hard to know if we don't even give them a shot. Simply assume ag players aren't potential player of YEP without any evidence is not a valid argument but I see what is your concern.

Xak I mention ban by IP * faceplam *

_________________
I live in Mars [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] according to OZ

dragon144
Administrator

Posts : 384
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Xakaze on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:56 am

IP ban wouldn't work. I could give you a lot of players that have the same IP but are actually different persons. Unless yck can get personal IPs but I doubt it.

Xakaze

Posts : 421
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Nairod57 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:58 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: Simply assume ag players aren't potential player of YEP without any evidence is not a valid argument


It's the job of the staff (mod/mentor) to decide if some AG players are good enough and respectful enough to join YEP so they are a lot of evidence before inviting someone. I don't assume anything, but by playing a lot in 1.0 room, i can tell you that a lot of grandmaster are idiots and don't have any respect for other players and they don't diserve to be here.

Nairod57

Posts : 42
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 22
Location : france

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by TroIIingTroll on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Its summer again. Those of you who been here for 2+ will know it would be active period for YEP traditionally.
Yeah that is , I have been there for 4 years and some of the player will go to have their hibernation during winter , and it become more obviously in this year.

According to the suggestion by dragon , can we open yck1509 exit path to public step by step? For example we can open the old site first and then we can fully open for public.

Someone tells that yck1509 exit path is dead , but I think that it is still dying. It will not last forever , but it may last for 4-10 more years if we follow the plan even though the quality of players will drop down very fast. ( In 2010 , people have to get a level 41 and in 5 minutes and do some tricks for beat the barrier of the road of yck1509 exit path )
avatar
TroIIingTroll

Posts : 248
Join date : 2013-08-18
Age : 17
Location : HK

https://www.sites.google.com/site/0803game1/

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by GhostOfPain on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:29 am

IP bans are ineffectual in stopping the activity of malignant people, and have collateral damage that can affect normal people.

I doubt that Yck would agree with the implementation of an IP ban function, disregarding how this survey will turn out.

_________________
Worst moderator in the history of gaming.
avatar
GhostOfPain
Administrator

Posts : 37
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by dragon144 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:IP bans are ineffectual in stopping the activity of malignant people, and have collateral damage that can affect normal people.

I doubt that Yck would agree with the implementation of an IP ban function, disregarding how this survey will turn out.

I acknowledge IP ban has risk. I never said it doesn't have =/ Neither do I absolutely think this plan is perfect. It is okey for me if this plan fails. If the final discussion result is that this plan in not worth it, I will not rage quit or cry anyway. I also added if yck refuses its also okey since ultimately he is the one who host the site.

Detail: The purpose is to get some popularity in YEP while doing the minimal work for yck or any staff (you know, we all have a life) and the control of this community. This is a 3-way balance. So my question is are we just let this thing die out or stall for maybe for an extra year or 2. A little bumpy ride ahead will be expected but in long term it might pay off (I am not going to say will as I am not 100% sure but it will significantly improves our chances)

Factor 1: Control- I don't have absolute knowledge about IP things. But I can tell you changing IP is not as easy it sounds if you also want a fast internet. Proxy won't do because the speed barely plays youtube videos and neither do VPNs will provide you fast speed internet. Not to mention Tor it is just a complete disaster when it comes to internet speed. IP will be 100% efficient for ppl who don't know much about computers and 75% for ppl who do know much as using the above method mention severely slows their connection speed, making playing EP virtually impossible. (Tried this in China b4 for the google site)

Factor 2: Revival - it sure helps but again this game in general dyes out so this plan is design to stall time only.

Factor 3: Style of gaming - This is what Nariod is concerning, and he has a good point. This game, if such change happens, will drag this quality of ppl further down. The skill set of players will go down. However this is relatively not a big problem as 1) We have mentors to teach ppl and we have resources. 2) It is just you guys who think skill is a big part of this community. It is not... it is just a big part for like ~ 2 years. We had level makers who design levels which has no advance skill. But I think that moral of players will go down which factor 4 will comes to play.

Factor 4: Algorithm

I think IP based account will be something like this. I don't like changes as well so I am trying to just add a few set of rules and thats it.

Application for YEP:  Create account --> IF IP = VALID then ask for new username,password,email (just another barrier for ppl good at IT) --> account created --> Account will associate to the IP it create username. ELSE DISABLE PAGE

login: ENTER username and pass --> IF IP is new then add the new IP into database --> IF matches database AND RANK =/= No one --> login sucessful. ELSE IF database mismatch THEN goto login ELSE DISABLE PAGE

Banning phrase: IF ACCOUNT = BANNED --> RANK = No one --> IP = INVALID

*I know for proxy and VPN there will be a handful of IP to pick on. This is not perfect as I said it just create barriers.
** As YEP already has function to keep track of IPs. This is just extend this system. I hope that will not cause too much work. 

Or please if yck thinks it is not working just leave a message here and this thread will be locked.

_________________
I live in Mars [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] according to OZ

dragon144
Administrator

Posts : 384
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Xakaze on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:56 am

@dragon : Sometimes I wonder if you read my posts. It's like you simply ignore them.

Oh and btw, making a poll here is not wise imo, we have a mod forum for those decisions which should be taken by the staff.
I don't know what is wrong with you dragon but really, take a deep breath and think about what you're doing right now. You're totally inventing problems we are not encoutering.

My suggestion : FIRST, come back to the game, THEN, make your own opinion about YEP's health ^^

PS: You can play EP very efficiently while using a VPN

Xakaze

Posts : 421
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Nairod57 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:29 am

I totally agree with xak.

We need active mentor/mod on this site. We don't need anything else

Nairod57

Posts : 42
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 22
Location : france

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by dragon144 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I totally agree with xak.

We need active mentor/mod on this site. We don't need anything else

Okey... I need a few more ppl voice out. I will lock this thread if more ppl dont think it's a good idea

_________________
I live in Mars [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] according to OZ

dragon144
Administrator

Posts : 384
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Guest_Phoenix94305 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Ah, yes, the revival of the "plans"... *cues dramatic music"

I agree with the previously mentioned point about us mostly just needing a sufficient amount of activity by the moderators and mentors. Oh yeah, and also those moderators/mentors have to not go batshit insane. We don't need more chapters in the Great Book of Stupid Things that have occurred because of THAT...

*Secretly begins planning on how best to go gloriously insane on the site and be a general Ruiner of Things...*
avatar
Guest_Phoenix94305

Posts : 237
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Guest_Phoenix94305 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am

Hiya Dragon,

I really am glad to see you again! After talking with you, though, I was under the impression that you thought I had just dismissed this as another "plan." I did not.

First, you say this game is losing its influence over AG. I thought that you simply meant because it is no longer listed in the top action games. However we have not experienced any decrease in players lately. You then said something about top players. I did not understand this point, but, all the same, I do not see how your plan would bring any thing but new players in, since the plan only lowers the bar of entry, and adds nothing to incentivize anyone else. In face, it only lowers the bar of entry, which adds no incentives at all.

Which, to me, forces the following question: Why is anyone interested in joining YCK? Quite frankly, it is because either people love the game, or love the people they play with, or both. I invited three people today. This is because I went into a room and played with people. I found people who really loved EP. Yes, just the regular game. When I showed them YCK, they were amazed.

Okay, so now your proposal is that we remove the invite code. Why? Are we keeping out people we want in? AND is letting whoever those people in better than keeping out all who are being kept out by the codes? In my thoughts, the numbers on both sides are zero, except sometimes when we ban a person.

In my thoughts, the best you can do for keeping the site alive is by making it fun for those you play with. That, to me, is the life of this site. We can make mechanical changes, but nothing can suffice for the enjoyment of the game well played together.
avatar
Guest_Phoenix94305

Posts : 237
Join date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Nabbit on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't think there's enough active mods that can handle it. I mean I'd come back if it opened up but everyone else...? And even if people WERE active, have a fun time convincing Yck to go through with it. I really wish it could open up though; I've always hated the invite system.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Deleting the invite code feature would be a mistake, I'm totally against it. As Nairod said, as long as we have active mods/mentors who regularly check AG rooms, then we should have new recruits... without polluting the site with bunches of assholes.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
3. General quality of ppl will be diminished (but it has already been during these 2-3 years)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Ah, yes, the revival of the "plans"...  *cues dramatic music"

I agree with the previously mentioned point about us mostly just needing a sufficient amount of activity by the moderators and mentors.  Oh yeah, and also those moderators/mentors have to not go batshit insane.  We don't need more chapters in the Great Book of Stupid Things that have occurred because of THAT...

*Secretly begins planning on how best to go gloriously insane on the site and be a general Ruiner of Things...*

-KrissKhan deleted the custom level site last year
-Wopi banned everyone
-Idk was Idk
-Sohd screwed with ranks last year

I don't think we have to worry about accidentally inviting assholes because lets face it, we all have the potential to become assholes. I mean, I could pull a Wopi right now if I wanted to and become Asshole the Great.
avatar
Nabbit
Rabbit
Rabbit

Posts : 429
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 21
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Xakaze on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:12 pm

@Nabbit : so, since mods/mentors do their job properly (=not that much assholes on the site lately), then we should get rid of invit codes and let everyone come in ? I hope I misunderstood your thinking, otherwise .... lol ^^

Xakaze

Posts : 421
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Nabbit on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:@Nabbit : so, since mods/mentors do their job properly (=not that much assholes on the site lately), then we should get rid of invit codes and let everyone come in ? I hope I misunderstood your thinking, otherwise .... lol ^^
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I don't think there's enough active mods that can handle it.

Never said we should. I just wish.
avatar
Nabbit
Rabbit
Rabbit

Posts : 429
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 21
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing risky move?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum